Life With Braces
It is of utmost importance that you know how to take care of your teeth and your braces during this period in your life. Maintenance is actually quite easy, but there are several things you need to keep in mind while you undergo this treatment.
Brushing with Braces
It is important to brush your teeth thoroughly after eating. Don’t forget to use a rounded-bristle toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Make sure to brush all parts of the braces as well as the surface of all your teeth. You will know that you have done a good job when the metallic parts look shiny and the bracket edges are clear. If circumstances make it difficult to do so, at least rinse your mouth for the meantime.
Flossing with Braces
Don’t forget to floss before you go to bed. We recommend using a floss threader as it allows you access to the space between the wires.
Eating with Braces
Your braces will allow you to eat most things, but there are several kinds of food that might damage it.
Foods to avoid:
- Chewy food (bagels, licorice)
- Crunchy food (chips, ice, popcorn)
- Food you have to bite into (apples, carrots, corn on the cob)
- Hard food (hard candies, nuts)
- Sticky food (bubblegum, caramel candies)
Of course, braces should not limit your culinary life. Here are kinds of food that require minimal chewing.
Food you can eat:
- Bread (muffins, pancakes, soft tortillas)
- Dairy (milk-based drinks, pudding, soft cheese)
- Fruits (applesauce, banana, fruit juice)
- Grains (pasta, rice)
- Meat (chicken, lunch meats, meatballs)
- Seafood (crab cakes, salmon, tuna)
- Treats (ice cream, Jell-O, milkshakes, smoothies, soft cake)
- Vegetables (beans, mashed potatoes, spinach)
Habits to avoid
When it comes to your braces, it is not just limited to the food you eat. One should also take care to avoid the following habits:
- Chewing on objects
Follow the instructions below and you should be well on your way to achieving straighter teeth!
SCHEDULE YOUR CONSULTATION ONLINE
Tell The World You're Feeling Happy With A Great Smile